What could be more satisfying than holding something and eating it?
It’s the pinnacle of minimalism. There are no utensils or cutting required; simply grab and eat. I have a long list of favourite handhelds, but I think these chicken & Veg spring rolls by Dashing Camilla are my absolute favourite. No matter how much I’ve had to eat, spring rolls are the one thing I can never say no to.
With the global pandemic, this is a fun recipe for a date night or even a girl’s night in. Keep warm and safe and enjoy these in the comfort of your own home.
1 tbsp. oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
400g of chicken mince or ground pork
1½ cups of shredded carrot (1 large or 2 small)
1½ cups (packed) shredded cabbage of your choice
1 tbsp. chilli, chopped
1 tbsp. chives, chopped
2 tbsp. spring onions, chopped
2 tbsp. coriander, chopped
2 tbsp. ginger, chopped
2 tsp cornflour / corn starch
2 tsp soy sauce (light or all-purpose is best, dark is also ok)
35-40 spring roll wrappers (found in Spar Freezer Section)
1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp. of water (for sealing the rolls) Veg oil for frying OR oil spray for baking
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
2 tsp cornflour / corn starch
2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. tomato sauce
2tsp soy sauce
½ cup apple cider vinegar
⅓cup sugar (adjust to taste)
- Heat oil in a skillet or wok over high heat. Add garlic, stir quickly, and then add the chicken. Cook, breaking it up as you go until it turns white.
- Add the carrots and cabbage, cook for 3 minutes or until veggies are wilted. Add chilli, chives, spring onion and coriander. Add cornflour and soy sauce and cook for 1 minute until the liquid is gone. The filling should not be watery, it should be kind of sticky.
- Cool the filling completely (hot filling will cause the spring roll to burst open)
- Mix egg and water in a small bowl (for sealing rolls)
- Carefully peel off one spring roll wrapper, keep the others covered under a damp tea towel.
- Place the wrapper SMOOTH SIDE DOWN in a diamond position. Place a very heaped spoon of filling on the bottom. Roll up halfway, fold the sides in, and then finish rolling. Use the egg wash to seal.
- Pour enough oil in a wok or large saucepan so it is double the height of the spring rolls. Heat on medium-high until hot.
- Carefully place spring rolls in the oil (about 4-5 at a time) and cook, occasionally turning them, until deep golden – around 1½ – 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining spring rolls. Serve while hot with sweet and sour sauce.
- Place Spring rolls on a rack and places the rack on a tray. Spray very generously with oil all over (use canola or other natural oil). Bake at 200⁰C / 400⁰F (standard) OR 180⁰C / 350⁰F (fan / convection) for 20-25 minutes until golden and crispy – no need to turn.
Sweet & Sour Sauce:
Mix all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer, stirring regularly, and then simmer until it thickens to taste (about 3-5 minutes)
Follow the video: https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_k6gAqAnMs/?hl=en