Some have opted for easy-mix – nothing wrong with that – but Loide comes to the rescue with a quick lesson on baking a chocolate cake from scratch.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time 15-17 minutes
- Servings: 6 cupcakes
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup sifted self-rising flour
- ¼ cup or 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- ¼ cup or 4 tablespoons hot water
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons milk
For the cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Grease your muffin tins with a generous amount of butter or cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine your sugar, sifted flour and cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Add egg, milk, oil, vanilla essence and beat with a stand mixer or hand mixer for 2 minutes. Add hot water and beat again.
- Your batter will be thin, this is the consistency you want.
- Divide your batter evenly into your greased muffin tins. Bake for approximately 15-17 minutes. When a toothpick is inserted into them, it will come out clean or with slight crumbs at the very bottom.
- Remove your muffin pan from the oven and allow to cool completely.
For the frosting
- Beat butter for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy
- Add icing sugar and beat again until sugar is fully incorporated into the butter and is smooth
- Add cocoa powder and milk alternatively and beat for a few more minutes until your frosting comes to the consistency you want. If the frosting is too thick add more milk (measuring with a teaspoon or a tablespoon), if it is too thin or runny, add a tablespoon of icing sugar.
- Frost your cooled cupcakes using either piping tips or a butter knife or even the back of a spoon.
- Garnish with toppings of choice (i.e. candy or fruit).
What's Your Reaction?